Rosetta Stone language learning software is a homeschool curriculum that uses your computer to help you learn a foreign language. This Rosetta Stone software program is a very effective method by which to learn to not only speak a language, but to recognize the written word as well.
How It Works
Each unit has a minimum of 10 lessons. These lessons incorporate the written and spoken word along with picture association. Every language is spoken by someone who speaks that language as their native tongue. (The exception would be those languages that are no longer spoken, such as Latin.)
There are a variety of testing exercises in each program, including reading, speaking, and listening. For some languages, like Latin, there are also writing exercises.
It has many activities that help keep you engaged in the program while you learn the basics of the language.
Why People Like It
The Rosetta Stone Program is a very well liked foreign language program.
Here are some reasons why it has become the preferred foreign language curriculum for military, government and home learning environments:
- It is interactive This helps students to retain more knowledge and not become bored with the program.
- User friendly and simple to use. It is easy to enjoy the activities. If an activity is not to your liking it is easy to leave and do something else.
- Homeschool Extras The home school version comes with great booklets, tests and quizzes including weekly worksheets that give students a chance to write the language, to see it in print, and hear to it from a native!
Why Some Don’t Care for the Program
Even with the best of foreign language programs there are bound to be some down sides.
Here are a few common complaints:
- Large amount of repetition. This is good for memorization, but can become very tiresome to some students.
- Focuses more on formal speaking. It does not take into account the way normal people would speak in that given culture. Because of this, one may not get a good working knowledge of the language as it is spoken by common people.
- Little applicable information early in the program. Until you get to the second or third level there isn’t much in the way of learning conversation.
One of The Best
Overall, the Rosetta Stone Language Learning Software Program is a great program for those interested in learning another language. It has an interactive, user friendly software program that appeals to people of all learning levels. Even thought there may be some drawbacks to the program, the Rosetta Stone program is one of the best language software.